Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Another trip to the clinic

Tuesday March 29th 2011
After a rather disturbed night, I was still unable to keep fluids down and was starting to get a bit worried. Pastor decided we should try to walk to the clinic so that I could see the nurse. However, I was rather pleased when I stopped vomiting around 9 am. As the early morning rain and thunderstorms seemed to ease off half an hour later, we started out very slowly. However, Pastor kept looking over to one set of hills, and was very concerned about the weather and my weak condition. Some black clouds swiftly approaching heralded another thunderstorm - so we turned back after only travelling a short distance. I was very disappointed, but Bruce and Pastor decided to set out a bit later, and didn't return until around 4.30, having passed through a fishing village where they had a soda. Bruce was quite shocked at the large number of young women and their behaviour - unfortunately prostitution is a huge problem in the fishing villages or camps, and HIV/AIDS infects the majority of Bumbire’s inhabitants - but it doesn't seem to lessen the promiscuity and immorality. In a few years’ time, the results will be quite devastating.
Mid-afternoon, feeling a little better, I asked if I could wash some underwear – and was a bit shocked to discover the basin I’d been using overnight was the one that also was used to wash clothes in – so had to give it a good clean first. As is usual in Tanzania, you have to hang up underwear indoors, as it’s very offensive to hang it outside in public – but then it takes several days to dry and doesn’t have the benefit of sunshine on it.
Once I’d finished this small chore, Mama asked me if I would like some food, and for the first time in 24 hours I felt like eating a little. After informing her that I might be able to eat a spoonful or two, I was rather flabbergasted to be presented with a huge bowl of rice and another of pork in mchuzi, and to be told that she’d be really happy if I ate it all up! I did manage to eat a couple of spoonfuls of rice and a piece of pork, which actually went down quite well, but that was all. Mama was very disappointed!
We were very glad to see the men again on their return. They had had a good talk with the nurse, who provided a course of antibiotics, some anti-vomiting pills and some 'orange'-flavoured electrolyte sachets, similar to Gastrolyte but tasting even worse! I was glad to be able to keep the tablets down, and they really helped.
For dinner, we were offered vibibi (rice buns) before the main meal of pork, rice and chai - but the kibibi I tried to eat defeated me because it tasted very smoky and was really greasy. I was able to eat a tiny bit of rice and pork, but the tea (chai) also was hard to drink, I only managed half a cup and decided it was much better to keep on drinking as much water as possible. I filled our 600ml bottle alternately with plain water, then electrolyte solution, as I found it so nauseating!

No comments:

Post a Comment